So i wanted to tell the world about my favorite Webcomics. Why?
- First, want to spread the word: I like them so much, i think, others should not miss a chance to enjoy them too.
- Second, i know, that the Artists of these strips don't do this for big piles of money (maybe they get a little cash from banners - but that's no compensation for the huge amount of time they invest) -- but rather for their ego. The more parise and readers they get, the more their work pays of for them.
- And third, it's my ego too of course: I want you all to know, how sophisticated i feel: i don't read Garfield - i read the cool independent web comics... (yeah: i know: how spohisticated is this: "reading juvenile junk and cheap gags - why doesn't the boy read a good book..." guess what: i do that too on occasion.)
So, without further adoo: these are my current top-5:
1: Schlock Mercenary: a serial, daily, online.comic space opera by Howard Tayler
2: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for hire by Michael Terracciano
3: PHD: Piled Higher and Deeper by Jorge Cham
4: Something Positive by r*k*milholland
5: Questionable Content by J. Jaques
I Tried to think up a few reasons, why i like them so much. While they are completely different and don't follow a common genre (like gamer comics or the like) they have a few characteristics in common:
- The have some amount of story continuity and at the same time, they are readable (and to some amount funny) in each single daily installation
- (To a different dergee, ) they don't much care for syndicated family friendlyness: If a topic seems fit for the story line or an offhand joke, it goes in without much care for political correctness
- i enjoy the way they are drawn - different as they are
- they appear fairly regular
Anyway: read them, enjoy them, ...